"Empowered women are essential collaborators, to create more empowered businesses and resilient communities. For this reason, I am pleased to support this important initiative, being undertaken by HSBC Bank Malta, to celebrate the contributions of business women in the Maltese Islands. I believe we must do more, to highlight the role of the private sector as a crucial partner, to advance women’s empowerment. The effective inclusion of women will drive the national economic development of Malta, while also effectively promoting our aspirations, to achieve full gender equality and equity."
“I passionately believe that diversity of thought is an essential component of business success. Today 60% of graduates from the University of Malta are female, but only 5% of all Board positions in Malta’s listed companies are held by women, the lowest in the EU. Our economy cannot truly prosper and compete internationally over the long term unless the remarkable talent of business women in Malta is truly set free. And beyond the simple economics, in any healthy society there must be a fundamental moral perspective that it is talent alone which determines potential for progression and success. Within HSBC we are making progress to ensure equality but we also feel a responsibility to speak out and stand up for the promotion of meritocracy in wider society. We are honoured that Her Excellency the President of Malta, who clearly is a role model and advocate of equality at the highest level of society, has graciously agreed to be the patron of these awards to recognise and encourage excellence amongst businesswomen in the country.”
- Nominations can be submitted for female entrepreneurs or members of an organisation’s management team from all industries in the private sector.
- Colleagues, clients, family and friends can send in nominations or candidates can nominate themselves.
- There is no charge to nominate and you can enter as many categories as you wish.
- Information provided should be relevant to the candidate’s/company’s activities in the previous 18 months from point of nomination.
- Nominations should ideally include details of company revenues where specified (although this is not mandatory at the application stage).
- For purpose of these criteria, applicants for the ‘Young Businesswoman of the Year Award’ must be under 35 years of age on 31st December 2018 to enter this category.
- Only nominations from the private sector will be accepted.
- Businesses must operate in Malta, and subsidiaries of foreign companies based in Malta are eligible to apply.
- The judges will decide the winners based on the written confirmations of the submissions, so try to include as much information as possible, providing meaningful figures/statistics to support points.
- Nominations close at noon on Monday, 26th November 2018.
- The winners will be announced exclusively at the Malta Businesswoman of the Year 2018 Awards ceremony on Saturday, 9th February 2019.
How do I enter?
Entries for 2018 are open as from Monday, 5th November 2018. Entries are online.
Closing date for the entries is noon on Monday, 26th November 2018.
We do not charge an entry fee. The finalists and winners are chosen by a panel of business experts based on the information supplied in the application form, and upon verification of the details provided.
Do I have to provide financial information?
Ideally yes, although this is not mandatory at the application stage. However, the more information we have about your business the more enabled the judges will be to take a final decision. It is also important to answer all the questions as factually as possible. All information will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
I am not a big business – are these awards for me?
Yes, most certainly. Our awards for businesswomen focus on individuals who have accomplished amazing achievements for themselves, their business and their clients. These awards are about women in business who have made a difference.
Who judges the awards?
A panel of business experts from various entrepreneurial backgrounds.
When will the awards ceremony be held?
The awards ceremony will take place on Saturday, 9th February 2019, during which local media will be present. The winners will be announced on the night.
What is the award?
The award will be a certificate and a trophy, which will be presented to the winners by dignitaries during the awards ceremony.
What happens after the awards ceremony?
The awards ceremony will be followed by a networking reception.
If you have any more questions about our awards for businesswomen, do feel free to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
In today’s world, diversity of gender and thought are key factors for business success, because different perspectives enable better decisions.
Today 60% of graduates from the University of Malta are female, but only 5% of all Board positions in Malta’s listed companies are held by women, the lowest in the EU. Economy cannot truly prosper and compete internationally over the long term unless the remarkable talent of business women in Malta is truly set free.
Internally, the bank works to foster a climate of equality, including advancement of women in their careers, while externally it remains a passionate supporter of the cause.
Advancing women in their careers makes business sense too as it provides competitive advantage by maximising staff and business potential, it reduces staff turnover and increases employee motivation. This also creates new business opportunities and long-lasting benefits to the community.
HSBC firmly believes that meritocracy is a guiding principle when it comes to fostering a culture based on diversity and inclusion, and over the past years the Bank has taken a number of steps to achieve gender balance in management positions. In fact, in 2018, HSBC Malta became the first large organisation in Malta with a 50% of its Executive Committee positions held by female colleagues, appointed in all cases based on their ability.
HSBC Malta is proud to support the mission and goals of the Malta Businesswoman of the Year Awards.